TULPEHOCKEN RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB
PO Box 253, Pine Grove, PA 17963
Range Hours: Mon-Sat: 8:30 AM - Sunset. Sun.: 10 AM - Sunset.
Welcome to our website!
With the exception of "Open" and "Public Events", our range facilities are available to club members only.
Club meetings are held the 1st Thursday of the month.
Please check the "2014 Events Calendar" page for dates and other event listings.
Please try to make as many meetings as possible, we value your input and comments.
Please check our "Bulletin Board" for the latest announcements and notices.
Browse our "Favorite Links" and "Library" for firearm and shooting related information containing historical articles, technical data, ballistics & reloading information, firearm manuals, political-legislative issues and much more.
The purpose of this club is to promote interest in the shooting sports; to lawfully secure and use arms and ammunition for practice; to hold competitive shoots; to promote the safe handling of firearms; to protect and defend the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States; to cooperate with all lawfully constituted organizations for the promotion and preservation of the shooting sports; to provide and maintain suitable facilities.
The mission of the Tulpehocken Rifle & Pistol Club is to foster the development of all shooting sports by providing members with a safe facility in which to engage the shooting activities, as well as a safe environment for youth training in firearms safety and use. The club offers organized shooting competitions, and desires to promote fellowship, good sportsmanship and wholesome family activities. The safe and lawful use of firearms by the youth, club members and general public through education, training, competitions and camaraderie is our foremost goal.
Tulpehocken Rifle & Pistol Club House
2 Leonard St.
Pine Grove PA 17963
A BRIEF RANGE HISTORY:
The first shooting sport use, we know of, on the currently maintained range at Pine Grove, was as a National Guard, 1000 yard range impact area in 1904. The concrete target stand is still there. It became a civilian shooting range and club circa late 1940's, during what appears to have been the peak of target shooting interest, with young veterans returning home from World War II. At some point, the range fell into disuse and disrepair before being revived in the early 1980's. The club formalized with a written constitution in 1990.
In 2001, property was purchased near Molleystown, PA, because of concern that the club would lose the lease at the Pine Grove borough range to other recreational uses. To date, both facilities are currently being maintained as shooting ranges, with planning and development ongoing for the new facility at Molleystown. Contributions of information to this "History" are welcome. Please send your recollections and/or memoirs to our PO Box 253, Pine Grove PA 17963, or e-mail to the web administrator at email@example.com
What is a “Tulpehocken”?
“Tulpehocken” is an American Indian word meaning “Land where the turtle sang”. Also, the name of a creek in Eastern Berks County, Pennsylvania. The Swatara Creek, a tributary of the Susquehanna River, flowed into the Tulpehocken Creek, which fed into
Lancaster County, Pa.
When the German immigrants, known as “The Palatines”, who resided in New York, became weary of their treatment by the British, one of
their number, a man by the name of Conrad Weiser, along with his son of the same name, began to look for better places to settle. It is
thought that William Penn’s family had offered them land in the Western part of Pennsylvania, seemingly, for the express purpose to provide
Penn with a western buffer against the Indians.
The Pennsylvania authorities were far more lenient and did not impose as many restrictions on the German settlers as did the British in New
York, who allowed only 10 acres of land per family, which was not sufficient for adequate farming.
Conrad Weiser knew about the Tulpehocken area of Berks County via numerous contacts with the Indians of that area and trips made to the region. The decision was made to move to the Tulpehocken area. A petition exists which names those original migrants. This migration took place in 1723 when thirty three families left New York, upon the invitation of Gov. William Keith of Pennsylvania and settled in the Tulpehocken area. A subsequent petition to Governor Keith, by these Palatines, allowed them to settle along the Tulpehocken Creek in Eastern Berks